It's harder on you than it is on them

When you take your kid to the doctor's and they get a shot and cry, the doctor always says it hurts you more than it hurts them. While this is true, it doesn't just apply to shots. In fact, it applies to pretty much every aspect of your child's life.

Tonight is the first night I put him to sleep in his crib.

Now on the surface this doesn't seem like a big deal, some kids even start out sleeping in their crib and never sleep in a bassinet. But for me this is apparently a highly emotional experience. The past 2 nights I've been waking up to find he's pushed himself up to the edge of the bassinet so I know that's a pretty good indicator he's ready for his crib but while he may be (he's sleeping peacefully at the moment) Mommy apparently is not.

For all my talk about how I don't like the newborn stage and how I can't wait for him to get older, part of me still wants him to be the adorable little mush he currently is. In a way him moving to his crib is the first tangible sign that he isn't going to be an adorable mush forever and that he's gonna grow and be an adorable baby (not newborn) and eventually an adorable toddler and handsome young man.

I'm not ready to move past the mush phase yet! 😭

I think it's also compounded by the fact that we went to daycare today to drop some things off and introduce him to his teachers and the whole emotional roller coaster I went on when I first went back to work is coming around for a second time. Not that I don't love the place and the people there but, ya know, it's just hard. The struggles of a working mom, here's hoping the transition to him in daycare isn't as hard as it was when I first left him.

Aside from that though, the week has been pretty good overall. Lucrative weekend at work (hello 5 and 7 pair sales!) and he's had more good days than bad. Last week though I will say I went to give him a bath and he got hungry earlier than I anticipated so he's in the tub and started screaming for food so I try to rinse him off real quick and get him into pj's all the while I'm bawling too so that was not a fun experience but thankfully the next time I went to give him a bath he was much better and we were able to play a little since he's actually sitting in the tub now as opposed to the newborn sling, which thankfully wasn't the emotional roller coaster putting him in the crib is.

Hopefully next week will be more positives than negatives. I'm sure there will be some tears but I'll try to remind myself that this is just our next adventure, and adventures are always a good thing.

Onto the next chapter!

Comments