Mommy and Me, Cereal Edition
Well hello there fabulous reader, how are you doing tonight?
Good? That's good.
Oh, me? I'm actually pretty good too!
Ok, enough internal dialogue lets get into the good stuff, the news you've all been waiting (I assume) to hear, how munchkin's 4 month checkup went! Well the long and short of it is good, he's growing well (14.1 lbs, 25" long) and he's hitting his milestones. He's got great head control, he's working on rolling over, and making the always squee inducing laughs and babbles. Aaaaand, drum roll please, he's started rice cereal! Yep, we got the go ahead from the doctor to start introducing it so earlier this week we gave him his first taste and...he's kinda indifferent. He's not over the moon about it but he doesn't hate it either. It is still the first week so I'm sure as he gets more used to it he'll like it more but his thought process right now is probably something like "What is this stuff, I can't just swallow it like my milk what gives woman?!".
It's really been a trip watching him grow and how much has changed in just 4 months. He went from this adorable, tiny little thing to now really learning about the world and people around him and actually interacting with them. I know every mother says they wish they could slow down time and now I completely understand why. I'm so happy that he's growing and he's healthy and becoming more his own person as opposed to just an adorable potato but I still miss that little potato, no matter how sleep deprived he made me. The past 3 nights he's fallen asleep on his own as opposed to me (or Grandma) rocking him which made me sad cause he doesn't need me as much as he used to (not that he doesn't need me obviously, can't feed himself yet though he does try to hold his bottle) but at the same time I'm glad he's learning how to self soothe so he doesn't always need to rely on me.
Positive story though! This past Thursday his daycare did a mommy and me music class which was really cute! They had a lady come in who plays guitar and we sang all kinds of nursery rhymes and songs and she even passed out little maracas to shake, it was absolutely adorable and totally fun. Best part, it was the perfect excuse to wear out matching outfits! My shirt says "Mother of Dragons" and his onesie says "Baby Dragon", we got so many compliments on them it definitely made my day. Then the next day it was hat day so I brought in his little fedora and good news is it now fits him and all the teachers in both infant rooms absolutely LOVED it!! If there's one thing this kid will never lack it'll be good hats. Grandpa and I have a thing for good hats =D.
I tell ya motherhood is the craziest roller coaster you will ever ride.
In other news though, Grandma and I have already started building a little stockpile of gifts for Christmas! We've gotten a few toys already (I've explicitly told her if she buys clothes I will burn them, kid's got enough already) and I plan on getting ALL THE BOOKS! Ok, maybe not literally but I've got at least 10 stowed away on my Amazon list. Everything from classics like "Goodnight Moon" and "Where the Wild Things Are" to more modern books like "Dear Boy" (which I actually saw first in Target but it was mad expensive so, Amazon FTW). I'm also gonna look into some kind of bookshelf that can grow with him as he gets older. I was thinking about getting one of those cube storage units so we can put books and toys in it, and they're on sale right now in Target I think...*casually browses Target.com while blogging* jk jk, one thing at a time. Back on topic!
I'm also battling with the conflicting views of wanting him to have a good Christmas (which, if we're being honest, he probably won't remember anyway) and not going completely overboard with stuff. It's always been my intention to give my kids good Christmases but not flood the house with toys (especially since I plan on having more kids) so giving them a few items that they really want and will actually enjoy and play with for more than a month. That's why I'm such a bookworm, a good library is something that can be passed down. That's why I still have all my favorite books from when I was younger, including my Harry Potter books that I plan to pass down to Sean and my other future kids (I might get them a new copy of "The Chamber of Secrets" though, I put that one through the ringer). Toys come and go and while yes they can be donated once they're run their course with my family, I'd rather just avoid that headache and give them things I know they'll love and appreciate so we actually get our money's worth. I don't know, I'll probably end up sticking with my books, and a couple little stuffed animals and toys, and give everyone else who wants to get him something a list of stuff to choose from. Of course, I can't control what Grandma does but I can easily talk to her about my plan.
Work is also going well thankfully. We're officially in the thick of back to school season and thankfully this Saturday wasn't as crazy as the last one. Last weekend I swear from about 2-4 I never stopped moving, it was nuts! Today wasn't nearly as crazy thankfully, and I have off tomorrow so hooray a respite from the madness! Usual shenanigans are still afoot of course, but aside from someone needing an attitude adjustment it's nothing too serious. My store manager and I are also starting the process of shifting things over to me for when she leaves to manage the new store opening in November so when the time comes I'm comfortable in the position and can handle everything well.
That's where I'm gonna end for today. I'll probably post again about mid-September cause there's a couple things going on then that should make for some good stories. I'm contemplating taking him "pumpkin picking" this fall too, even though he can't actually pick the pumpkin we can go out into the field and look at all the pumpkins and still pick one out (just not from the field so I don't have to lug it AND a 5ish month old around at the same time, oh that'd be a sight!). I know he won't remember it but that doesn't mean we still can't do fun things, we'll just enjoy them in the moment (and take plenty of pictures)!
Until next time, my faithful reader, see ya!
Good? That's good.
Oh, me? I'm actually pretty good too!
Ok, enough internal dialogue lets get into the good stuff, the news you've all been waiting (I assume) to hear, how munchkin's 4 month checkup went! Well the long and short of it is good, he's growing well (14.1 lbs, 25" long) and he's hitting his milestones. He's got great head control, he's working on rolling over, and making the always squee inducing laughs and babbles. Aaaaand, drum roll please, he's started rice cereal! Yep, we got the go ahead from the doctor to start introducing it so earlier this week we gave him his first taste and...he's kinda indifferent. He's not over the moon about it but he doesn't hate it either. It is still the first week so I'm sure as he gets more used to it he'll like it more but his thought process right now is probably something like "What is this stuff, I can't just swallow it like my milk what gives woman?!".
It's really been a trip watching him grow and how much has changed in just 4 months. He went from this adorable, tiny little thing to now really learning about the world and people around him and actually interacting with them. I know every mother says they wish they could slow down time and now I completely understand why. I'm so happy that he's growing and he's healthy and becoming more his own person as opposed to just an adorable potato but I still miss that little potato, no matter how sleep deprived he made me. The past 3 nights he's fallen asleep on his own as opposed to me (or Grandma) rocking him which made me sad cause he doesn't need me as much as he used to (not that he doesn't need me obviously, can't feed himself yet though he does try to hold his bottle) but at the same time I'm glad he's learning how to self soothe so he doesn't always need to rely on me.
Positive story though! This past Thursday his daycare did a mommy and me music class which was really cute! They had a lady come in who plays guitar and we sang all kinds of nursery rhymes and songs and she even passed out little maracas to shake, it was absolutely adorable and totally fun. Best part, it was the perfect excuse to wear out matching outfits! My shirt says "Mother of Dragons" and his onesie says "Baby Dragon", we got so many compliments on them it definitely made my day. Then the next day it was hat day so I brought in his little fedora and good news is it now fits him and all the teachers in both infant rooms absolutely LOVED it!! If there's one thing this kid will never lack it'll be good hats. Grandpa and I have a thing for good hats =D.
I tell ya motherhood is the craziest roller coaster you will ever ride.
In other news though, Grandma and I have already started building a little stockpile of gifts for Christmas! We've gotten a few toys already (I've explicitly told her if she buys clothes I will burn them, kid's got enough already) and I plan on getting ALL THE BOOKS! Ok, maybe not literally but I've got at least 10 stowed away on my Amazon list. Everything from classics like "Goodnight Moon" and "Where the Wild Things Are" to more modern books like "Dear Boy" (which I actually saw first in Target but it was mad expensive so, Amazon FTW). I'm also gonna look into some kind of bookshelf that can grow with him as he gets older. I was thinking about getting one of those cube storage units so we can put books and toys in it, and they're on sale right now in Target I think...*casually browses Target.com while blogging* jk jk, one thing at a time. Back on topic!
I'm also battling with the conflicting views of wanting him to have a good Christmas (which, if we're being honest, he probably won't remember anyway) and not going completely overboard with stuff. It's always been my intention to give my kids good Christmases but not flood the house with toys (especially since I plan on having more kids) so giving them a few items that they really want and will actually enjoy and play with for more than a month. That's why I'm such a bookworm, a good library is something that can be passed down. That's why I still have all my favorite books from when I was younger, including my Harry Potter books that I plan to pass down to Sean and my other future kids (I might get them a new copy of "The Chamber of Secrets" though, I put that one through the ringer). Toys come and go and while yes they can be donated once they're run their course with my family, I'd rather just avoid that headache and give them things I know they'll love and appreciate so we actually get our money's worth. I don't know, I'll probably end up sticking with my books, and a couple little stuffed animals and toys, and give everyone else who wants to get him something a list of stuff to choose from. Of course, I can't control what Grandma does but I can easily talk to her about my plan.
Work is also going well thankfully. We're officially in the thick of back to school season and thankfully this Saturday wasn't as crazy as the last one. Last weekend I swear from about 2-4 I never stopped moving, it was nuts! Today wasn't nearly as crazy thankfully, and I have off tomorrow so hooray a respite from the madness! Usual shenanigans are still afoot of course, but aside from someone needing an attitude adjustment it's nothing too serious. My store manager and I are also starting the process of shifting things over to me for when she leaves to manage the new store opening in November so when the time comes I'm comfortable in the position and can handle everything well.
That's where I'm gonna end for today. I'll probably post again about mid-September cause there's a couple things going on then that should make for some good stories. I'm contemplating taking him "pumpkin picking" this fall too, even though he can't actually pick the pumpkin we can go out into the field and look at all the pumpkins and still pick one out (just not from the field so I don't have to lug it AND a 5ish month old around at the same time, oh that'd be a sight!). I know he won't remember it but that doesn't mean we still can't do fun things, we'll just enjoy them in the moment (and take plenty of pictures)!
Until next time, my faithful reader, see ya!
Comments
Post a Comment